2013 turned out to be a great year in so many ways…
- My wife was sought out by a former co-worker who offered her the best job, in the best company, and with the best people with whom she has ever worked
- I rediscovered and reconnected with some important parts of my life that I had been neglecting
- My daughters and son had great years restarting life after a move in mid-2012
- I found new life and new enthusiasm in a new setting that re-energized my ministry
- My faith was restored and renewed after a three-year time of testing and loss that ended in mid-2012
These things (among others) were for me an experience of the power of resurrection. Resurrection is a power and not just a moment in the past. It is a present reality as much as future hope. Resurrection is a process (Jesus was in the tomb three days wasn’t he?) as much as it is an event.
“May the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ be blessed!
On account of his vast mercy, he has given us new birth.
You have been born anew into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.”
1 Peter 1:3 CEB
The other revelation that 2013 brought and that I plan to carry into 2014 comes from this post by author Donald Miller –
So many of the narratives I construct in my head are really lies. Fiction and fantasy are marvelous when we read them as such. Not when the narratives in our head about the world, our lives, other people are lies. How many negative stories in my mind are untrue – but still controlling what I do? How many stories that I use to understand how other people live and act and respond are completely false? And therefore poisoning relationships and perpetuating brokenness? How many of the histories I have crafted are, in truth, alternative histories to reality?
“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
John 8:32 CEB
Here’s to a New Year marked by the power of the Resurrection and an unfolding of the true narrative of my life – and yours!