Scripture 1 Corinthians 12:1-7
Now concerning spiritual gifts, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. 2 You know that when you were pagans, you were enticed and led astray to idols that could not speak. 3 Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking by the Spirit of God ever says “Let Jesus be cursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except by the Holy Spirit.
4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
- What does it mean to be “uninformed?” (unaware, not to have the information one needs to know)
- Speak: contrasts between idols that could not speak and the Holy Spirit who can prompt people to speak.
- Contrast, too, between what the Spirit does and doesn’t say
- Varieties of gifts – one Spirit, varieties of service – one Lord, varieties of activities – same God (Trinity?)
How does the Holy Spirit operate in our lives? Some thoughts from Paul…
(1) To proclaim that Jesus is Lord. The Holy Spirit always points to Jesus and one cannot claim to be moved by the Spirit and not proclaim Jesus is Lord.
(2) Varieties of gifts, services, and activities (some use effects instead). In each case the idea is something supernatural and unmerited. Gifts/endowments not deserved… services that would only happen under the Spirit’s influence… the obvious effects of the Spirit’s power. But all come from the same Spirit
(3) The Spirit is not primarily working for individual good but the common good. This is a huge distinction from the overly personalized and individual way we talk about the Holy Spirit.
How is this made real in me today? .Is the Holy Spirit’s work for the proclamation of Jesus as Lord being done in and through me? Do I operate in a spiritual power that is beyond what I could do (or what I think that I deserve) in my own sense of giftedness? Is the common good being done though my works or are they about me and mine?
Holy Spirit, today proclaim in and through me that Jesus is Lord. Give me gifts that I do not deserve, opportunities to serve that are beyond my comfort, and make real in me this power that only you bring and that works for the common good, the good of the body. In the name of Christ to Whom You point… Amen.